October is National Dental Hygiene Month! The fact this month is the time of year when children parade door-to-door, asking for sugary sweets may or may not be related. But either way, it is a great time to focus on dental hygiene. This is the time of the year where we celebrate the work dental hygienists do, and we help raise awareness on the importance of good oral health. We encourage our pediatric dental patients to focus on these daily four routines to maintain a healthy smile: Brush Twice a Day, Floss Daily, Rinse With Mouthwash and Chew Sugar-Free Gum.
The Top Five Issues Dental Hygienists Address:
- Caries (cavities)
- General Oral Care
- Periodontal Disease
- Teeth Whitening
The hygienists at Blue Ocean Dentistry provide these top services to our patients:
Fun Facts about Dental Hygiene
- Dental Hygiene Assessment
- Fluoride Treatments
- Oral Hygiene Education
- Periodontal Scaling & Root Planing
- The first School of Dental Hygiene in the country opened in 1913.
- Dentists introduced the first bristle toothbrush in 1948. Before that, most people relied on animal hair to clean teeth.
- The hardest thing in the body is tooth enamel.
- The second most common disease in the United States is tooth decay.
- Regular dental cleanings can prevent heart attacks.
Proper Brushing Techniques:
- Use the proper angle.
Make sure to tilt your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle.
- Gently move the toothbrush back and forth. But be careful not to brush too vigorously, as this can damage gums.
- Cover all surfaces of your mouth including inside, outside, top, and bottom.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue. Bacteria lives on your tongue. So, brushing that away will not only help get rid of the bacteria, but will also give you fresher breath!
The Importance of Dental Hygiene Month
National Dental Hygiene Month encourages adults and children to increase awareness about oral health. Regular oral care and routine dental visits are a great way to keep bacteria away and decreases the risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease, and even tooth loss. Another great reason to participate in National Dental Hygiene Month is because it celebrates one of the hardest working professions – dental hygiene. Did you know that there are over 200,000 dental hygienists in the United States who work hard to help keep our mouths happy and healthy?
About Dr. Fred Wong of Blue Ocean Dentistry in Glendora
Dr. Fred Wong and the staff at Blue Ocean Dentistry use the latest available dental treatments, equipment, and materials – all of which make a marked difference in our patients’ experiences. We are committed to helping our patients achieve optimal dental health. We creatively combine dental science and artistry — which can literally redesign your smile. Since even a subtle change in your smile will help you to project self-confidence and high self-esteem, we love helping you feel good about yourself. We deliver the finest dental care at the most reasonable cost and accept most dental insurance plans as well as CareCredit. For more about the dental treatment plans we offer or to schedule an appointment, call today (626) 852-6999.