Did you know that studies prove that white teeth lead to greater success at home and on the job? Nothing beats a beautiful smile. And when it comes to teeth, white (not yellow) is the desired color. Dr. Wong and the staff at Blue Ocean Dentistry in Glendora offer a host of dental services, all of which give patients a lot to smile about!
White Teeth Matter
- People tend to view job prospects as “more employable” if their teeth are white.
- Study respondents thought that people who had white teeth were younger looking than their yellow-teethed peers.
- More than half of interviewed singles say that teeth are the most important asset in a prospective date.
- Singles agree one of the most important traits for physical attraction is white teeth!
- White teeth give people confidence.
A Variety of Factors Contribute to Yellowing Teeth
- Genetics –While some families appear to lead charmed lives, sporting straight, white teeth…everything they touch turns to gold. Most of us have a less ideal genetic line. Tooth color is genetic. If your family tree has lots of people whose teeth sport more golden tones, go easy on them.
- Lifestyle – Due to certain foods, drinks and lifestyle behaviors, such as smoking, surface stains occur on or beneath the enamel. If left unaddressed, these stains penetrate the enamel and change the color of the dentin, which darkens appearance of the tooth. When this occurs, the tooth discolors. Unfortunately, the only way to reverse this is to whiten the teeth and then avoid the behavior that led to staining.
- Pharmacological – Certain medications can alter the color of teeth. If you take prescription pills, ask your doctor whether side effects could be altering the appearance of your teeth.
Even if you have less than ideal genes, drink coffee, and take prescription medications, there is hope! Dr. Wong and the staff at Blue Ocean Dentistry can help you achieve a white, bright smile.
The Teeth Whitening Process
Dr. Wong and his staff will take an impression of your teeth, to make a specialized mouth guard or stent, which will hold bleaching solution against your teeth. You will load the material into the guard and wear for three to four hours, for one or two weeks. After this initial bleaching-period, you will notice significant whitening. In some cases, the change is nothing short of brilliant.
Another option for tooth whitening is done right in our office. Called Power Bleaching, it starts with the dentist inserts rubber dams to protect your gums. Dr. Wong may also use a white liquid, which further protects sensitive tissue, so the bleaching agent only reacts to the enamel on your teeth. Then, he pours whitening material into the dams, so the active agent bleaches your teeth without harming your gums and sensitive tissue. Sometimes, a light source is used to further activate the bleaching agent. For confidence in your appearance, bleaching technologies allows us to reverse yellowing, aging, and/or stained teeth. For very severely stained teeth, crowns or veneers may be more appropriate. Ask Dr. Wong which method would work best for you.
Note: While you can purchase over-the-counter bleaching agents at drug stores and pharmacies, these products can harm your gums and teeth. To avoid damaging your enamel, use products endorsed by Dr. Wong.
About Dr. Fred Wong of Blue Ocean Dentistry in Glendora, California
Dr. Fred Wong and the staff at Blue Ocean Dentistry use the latest available dental treatments, equipment, and materials – all of which make a marked difference in our patients’ experiences. We are committed to helping our patients achieve optimal dental health. We creatively combine dental science and artistry — which can literally redesign your smile. Since even a subtle change in your smile will help you to project self-confidence and high self-esteem, we love helping you feel good about yourself. We deliver the finest dental care at the most reasonable cost and accept most dental insurance plans as well as CareCredit. For more about the dental treatment plans we offer or to schedule an appointment, call today (626) 852-6999.